Bristol Big'Uns
Welcome to our forums. The Bristol Big'Uns are a group of people who enjoy fantasy, science fiction and historical wargames. We tend to play mostly table-top wargames but you will sometimes see CCGs, CMGs, RPGs or board games. If this sounds like a hobby you currently enjoy then why not come along. The club is based at Iron Acton, between Bristol and Yate, in the recently refurbished Parish Hall and is held Sunday evenings from 6 pm until 10 pm. There are tables and chairs available plus various sized scenic mats and terrain for table-top wargames. Please bring with you any drinks or snacks that you require.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

29/5/2021 3:56 AM  #1

Let it rain

I’ve been smitten with Osprey’s Absolute Emperor rule set, returning to where it all started for me; Napoleonics in the 1960’s
Making the best of, yet another, wet day in May I thought I’d try to get some paint on some of my 6mm Austrians.
Anticipating a need to scratch this itch last week I visited eBay for 000 brushes (pity you can’t get 000000 ones), replacement scalpels and delPredo illustrated booklets.

With everything to hand on a wet Friday I selected an initial batch of 24 figures and proceeded to clean them up. I dug out my paints and found I couldn’t get some of the tops off, and some had dried out! However, after judicial use of various kitchen utensils and opening ‘spare’ paints I set about the task of applying a base coat of white, which happens to be the predominant uniform colour for ‘German’ infantry. Various colours followed and despite at times being unable to see where I was applying some of the finer detail, more in hope than skill I splashed the paint on. I even based them. I’m thinking not too bad after a drought of probably 2 years.

I awoke this morning and rushed to view my handywork, and really all that struck me was the black of the boots and headgear along with the white of the uniform! I think the next batch will have less love lavished on them.
Having taken a dainty nibble at my backlog, if I were to keep that productivity up, I’d be reducing my pile of acquisitions by 8,760 figures a year. At that rate I’d have caught up by the end of the decade, probably.

Footnote: although I managed 24 figures, they only represent 25% of a unit… Weather permitting, I may be able to bring a unit to the table in a week.

Cheers

If you want to get ahead in life - get an axe.

John.

29/5/2021 6:29 PM  #2

Re: Let it rain

I’m pleased to report that I remain on target to produce 8,760 figurers in a year, aided no doubt by less detail – nobody has their name in their paybook now.

I am asking myself the question, why (oh why) did I pick 6mm figures for a comeback. Perhaps I should count my blessings as I could have picked on my 6mm Highlanders, although I’ve run out of tartan paint, and you only see it advertised once a year by purveyors of such materials.

Cheers

John.

29/5/2021 8:31 PM  #3

At 6mm my rubbish painting skills only allow me to create units that look vaguely recognisable from a distance, with names written underneath the base just in case i forget whats what

30/5/2021 7:08 AM  #4

Hang on Andy I've seen your excellent handywork across the table.

Looking forward to facing your guys soon.

John.

30/5/2021 8:29 AM  #5

So having had an extremely quick scan through the Absolute Emperor rulebook I've been totting up my painted 6mm stuff in terms of points,

Assuming that most units are "Seasoned" but obvious things such as Grenadiers are veteran and Landwehr are conscripts I only have about 100 points worth of Austrians.

Assuming one or perhaps two Corp Commanders my painted Prussians come to around 170-200 points. Still short of the 250 points suggested in the book for competition level play.

My painted French might just about get to 250 points, again depending on the number of CCs and artillery.

My unpainted British might get to 200 points. Its odd that the cost of British artillery is out of line with the other nationalities.

Cheers, Andy

30/5/2021 4:02 PM  #6

Looks like an Austro-Prussian alliance could be on the cards.

I've skirmers bases that can be pressed into service as regular close order troops.

I questioned whether the HA & FA costs were transposed,  but they aren't. British had few big guns, using smaller calibre artillery.

Sounds like a game is imminent 😊

John.

30/5/2021 8:01 PM  #7

Did I see something in the advanced rules about one Light (Infantry) Division being allowed for the Brits?

31/5/2021 4:33 AM  #8

Indeed, national special rules P38.

Cheers

John.

31/5/2021 2:59 PM  #9

I cannot believe I’ve completed my initial Austrian division, all 96 of the little beauties. Amazing what you can do when you start each day at 05:00. I’ve even applied the white base coat to half of the next division.

I’m hoping to have them on the table at club next Sunday.

Cheers

John.

13/6/2021 3:53 PM  #10

6mm??

Blimey not sure my eyes could do those

Kind regards
Rob
www.scarabminiatures.com
www.warandconquest.co.uk

14/6/2021 12:39 PM  #11

Indeed Rob, 6mm. Mind you, if you use a magnifying glass, they could be 54mm 

Cheers

John.

14/6/2021 12:40 PM  #12

I finished my 5th division of Austrian infantry Saturday, and I can say that it’s official, after producing 474 figures in 17 days I’m sick and tired of painting 6mm infantry. Which is probably fortuitous as I’ve run out of the blighters and can turn my attention to the cavalry and artillery.

With weather so good (and the prospect of painting men on horses) my annualised output of figures of 10,800+ is more than likely to take a knock.

Cheers for now.

John.

15/6/2021 11:55 AM  #13

Sadly my painting output has been reduced by having to drink lots of beer whilst relaxing in the hot tub on my hols

15/6/2021 1:04 PM  #14

Never mind Andy, with any luck it'll be raining soon.

Just come back relaxed.

Cheers

John.

Board footera