Bristol Big'Uns
Welcome to our forums. The Bristol Big'Uns are a group of people who enjoy fantasy, science fiction and historical wargames. We tend to play mostly table-top wargames but you will sometimes see CCGs, CMGs, RPGs or board games. If this sounds like a hobby you currently enjoy then why not come along. The club is based at Iron Acton, between Bristol and Yate, in the recently refurbished Parish Hall and is held Sunday evenings from 6 pm until 10 pm. There are tables and chairs available plus various sized scenic mats and terrain for table-top wargames. Please bring with you any drinks or snacks that you require.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

14/12/2020 11:10 AM  #1

Merry Christmas and Happy New Projects for 2021

Well the title is self explanatory

In 2021 I am focused on the following projects - I accept other new ones might arrive or distract me

The Siege of Troy - this is the big one and may not finish in 2021, circa 1000 infantry and 72 chariots all in 28mm. Its around 50% painted, plus I have 5 buildings and 5 ships to paint and terrain boards to repair plus a beach section to build (The walls of Troy and other building were completed a long time ago). The game last had an outing in 2002 using mainly other peoples figures (Alan Perrys and mine to be exact!)

Persian army - in 28mm to fight my Greeks. I have most of the models, its just about getting on with it.

Harry Potter game - again, got it, started actually painting the models, trying a game via Skype soon. Then it will either be a focus for 2021 or on eBay

Middle Earth - once covid restrictions get lifted there's a campaign to continue with Andy Graham and other battles to fight and painting to continue

War & Conquest/ Sorcery - lots of fun here to be had - looking forward to clashing against Andy Phillips Orcs again plus as many WAC games as possible!

Distractions - WW1 WW2 and Project X plus whatever else I may have forgotten - there's also a number of nice models I have found while clearing the loft which will drop on the painting table - I am definitely trying to avoid Star Wars Legion even though we are enjoying the Mandolorian on Disney

Kind regards
Rob
www.scarabminiatures.com
www.warandconquest.co.uk

14/12/2020 11:39 AM  #2

Re: Merry Christmas and Happy New Projects for 2021

That sounds like a busy year Rob. So on the basis I don’t have to hold to anything and it will all change by 2nd Jan...

Mantic Rats, this is now starting to feel like a proper obsession, but rats will be Manticed.

Saxons, really want to get these guys done for WAC so they look as nice as the Vikings on the other side of the table.

Tidy up loose ends, Fiefdoms and Ironjaws need finishing and Abyssal Dwarfs and Basileans need some extra bits.

Lots of Burrows and Badgers and Northumbrian Tin painting joy.

Loads of gaming, and also hoping to get quite a bit more writing in, so may not be as productive on the painting front!

14/12/2020 12:10 PM  #3

2021 will be the year of the Goblin for me. Getting the shiny new Mantic Goblins to some form of table readiness is probably my biggest project.

Apply some focus back to Star Wars Legion and get them all painted up and try and get some games in at some point.

Vikings are lurking still but struggling to get motivated on them which is a shame.

May continue to look at and grow the wild west exodus minis as I like their aesthetic even if I don't get to play with them.

14/12/2020 6:40 PM  #4

Ectar - match Ed unit for unit on the Viking vs Saxon front, once we get a game in you will be more motivated... Probably best idea you use my Vikings against Ed and I will help

Ed - more rats .. no surprise

Look forward to playing with and against you both during 2021

Kind regards
Rob
www.scarabminiatures.com
www.warandconquest.co.uk

14/12/2020 7:03 PM  #5

That sounds like a plan.
That could be the motivation I need 😁😁

14/12/2020 8:19 PM  #6

Does that mean it’s all Ectar’s fault when I don’t have a fully painted Saxon army in 2022?

14/12/2020 11:08 PM  #7

My main project will be to complete a full company of WWII British infantry in 28mm, already working on my second platoon.

After that, I will resume my original project since coming back into the hobby and that is my Saxon army of Wessex. I’m also looking forward to see what mythical beasts I can add to it for war and sorcery.

Along the way I’ll be trying to ready all the random monsters I’ve accumulated for D&D.

If I get anywhere with these then I’ll start a WWII Wehrmacht platoon for CoC.

Jordan

14/12/2020 11:28 PM  #8

Plenty of projects to keep me busy next year I think .

Going to continue on with my 6mm projects, ACW to get to Gettysburg level, ECW finish Lansdown then move on to Roundway Down plus I want to try out a bit of Colonial gaming especially now I have loads of Zulus to paint.

On the 2mm Napoleonic front would like to get at least 4 small forces plus terrain to play the 2 by 2 rules then see if I can take it up to Blucher level.

28mm wise, finish my KOW Orc’s, Nightstalker and Twilight Kin armies plus my backlog of Dreadball teams.

That seems a fair bit to keep me occupied and I’m sure there will be more stuff at least started .

Last edited by Lurkus Spleen (14/12/2020 11:29 PM)

16/12/2020 5:43 PM  #9

Dobin wrote:

Does that mean it’s all Ectar’s fault when I don’t have a fully painted Saxon army in 2022?

Possibly - but he might blame you - share and share alike

Kind regards
Rob
www.scarabminiatures.com
www.warandconquest.co.uk

16/12/2020 5:46 PM  #10

JordanOfWessex wrote:

After that, I will resume my original project since coming back into the hobby and that is my Saxon army of Wessex. .

Excellent - Attention Simon and Ed, with Jordans Saxons and my Vikings we can play a doubles game..

I need to add to my list - finish the weapons and basing for my vikings 

As for beasts for the Saxons, mammoths may be on the cards, and some form of wyrm/ dragon

Kind regards
Rob
www.scarabminiatures.com
www.warandconquest.co.uk

16/12/2020 5:49 PM  #11

JordanOfWessex wrote:

My main project will be to complete a full company of WWII British infantry in 28mm, already working on my second platoon.

If I get anywhere with these then I’ll start a WWII Wehrmacht platoon for CoC.

Note one of my distractions is WW2, I do have painted Germans in 28mm, if you have a platoon list I would be interested to see if my models and the list match up - if yes, there's a game in the bag and an easy victory for you

Kind regards
Rob
www.scarabminiatures.com
www.warandconquest.co.uk

17/12/2020 8:42 PM  #12

OK, projects for 2021...

- I have a fairly large 15mm WW2 Japanese commission to do for someone
- I would like to get my Old West gangs painted - I managed to assemble the buildings earlier this year
- 15mm ancients - I have a Carthaginian army that is crying out for attention as opponents for the Romans I painted during 2020
- 28mm sci fi - I am enjoying "repurposing" some of my old sci fi figures for the Star Breach skirmish game and have some terrain to build and paint too. This fits in with my philosophy of gaming that will fit on a 2, 3 or 4 foot square wherever possible for solo play. Stargrave will also hopefully be a thing for me in 2021.
- Finally, I have enjoyed painting some of my 6mm Napoleonics this year and will continue to do this and some 6mm ECW too if time permits

Cheers, Andy

17/12/2020 8:44 PM  #13

AndyT wrote:

OK, projects for 2021...

- I have a fairly large 15mm WW2 Japanese commission to do for someone
- I would like to get my Old West gangs painted - I managed to assemble the buildings earlier this year
- 15mm ancients - I have a Carthaginian army that is crying out for attention as opponents for the Romans I painted during 2020
- 28mm sci fi - I am enjoying "repurposing" some of my old sci fi figures for the Star Breach skirmish game and have some terrain to build and paint too. This fits in with my philosophy of gaming that will fit on a 2, 3 or 4 foot square wherever possible for solo play. Stargrave will also hopefully be a thing for me in 2021.
- Finally, I have enjoyed painting some of my 6mm Napoleonics this year and will continue to do this and some 6mm ECW too if time permits

Cheers, Andy

Oh and Gaslands, lots of Hotwheels cars need chopping up ha ha 

20/12/2020 12:57 PM  #14

2021 Projects

Finish KoW Orcs and possibly some extra work on my Undead Army
I fancy some Gaslands
6 mm Naps I have French, Russian and Austrian armies to paint
I’ve just seen the new Warlord Games ACW sets in epic battle scale (15 mm).  I like the look of them https://store.warlordgames.com/collections/pre-orders/products/epic-battles-american-civil-war
I’ll stop here but have plenty other projects in the cupboard should I get bored

Checkout my #Hobbystreak on Twitter https://twitter.com/bluesquareman

Board footera