Bristol Big'Uns
Welcome to our forums. The Bristol Big'Uns are a group of people who enjoy fantasy, science fiction and historical wargames. We tend to play mostly table-top wargames but you will sometimes see CCGs, CMGs, RPGs or board games. If this sounds like a hobby you currently enjoy then why not come along. The club is based at Iron Acton, between Bristol and Yate, in the recently refurbished Parish Hall and is held Sunday evenings from 6 pm until 10 pm. There are tables and chairs available plus various sized scenic mats and terrain for table-top wargames. Please bring with you any drinks or snacks that you require.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

17/4/2018 6:15 PM  #1

What A Tanker !

Looks like a fun way to re-use those old unused FoW 15mm tanks...
http://toofatlardies.co.uk/blog/?p=7295

18/4/2018 5:52 AM  #2

Re: What A Tanker !

There's  an event on at BIG on 5 May. Check out thier Facebook page: https://m.facebook.com/events/1807617139541306?acontext=%7B"ref"%3A"3"%2C"action_history"%3A"null"%7D&aref=3

Richard Clarke will be running it!

Enjoy.

If you want to get ahead in life - get an axe.

John.

18/4/2018 6:13 PM  #3

If anyone would like to give these rules a try we are having a go at BIG on Friday from 1pm.
I have plenty of 20mm tanks.

Let me know

Alan

18/4/2018 6:16 PM  #4

I may have to add these to my rules library come payday. Looks like a thinking man's version of GF9 Tanks game. There are a couple of "how to play" videos on YouTube

21/4/2018 11:04 AM  #5

Well,

Our foray into WaT on Friday at BIG was mega. We played three games and each was was excellent fun, & compared to actual AAR’s of pure tank on tank combat in Normandy/western front the rules produced quite a similar feel to them. I, playing the Germans each time was blown out of my turret every time. Even when I was in a panther, the crew were obviously Ersatz as they must have been trying to load the rounds into the breech the wrong way

We used alan’s Superbly painted 20mm and with a 6’ x 4’ this gave the right look.

Alan’s Sherman crew driving a tank called Doris achieved three kills, he’s now applied to join the RTR 

All you need is one tank per player and a nicely cluttered terrain layout and you’ll have loads of fun.

I’ve got a nice PzIVH, & have on order some of the 20mm plastic soldier company panthers. The PSC 20mm are very nicely sculpted.

If anyone wants have a crack I have all the rules, they just need one suitable tank.

15mm would also do.

Nige

"We consider this our duty - to defend humanity against the scourge of intolerance, violence and fanaticism." (Massoud)

21/4/2018 5:43 PM  #6

All of my WW2 stuff is 15mm or smaller but I have just found a box of three 20mm PSC T34's on eBay for a tenner and I gave in to temptation.

22/4/2018 4:42 PM  #7

Nige,

I don’t currently have any 20mm tanks but if there is one going spare would love to take part.

Kevin

22/4/2018 10:49 PM  #8

An excellent fun two games played. The first game saw the allies aka, mike & Kevin with two Sherman’s and a Cromwell, , wipe out the three German players with two PzIV’s and a marder. Their tanks seemed to be firing blanks. Second game saw the German panther take a battering but it hung on the other German kit was a marder and the panzer IV which each took out a Sherman & an M10 leaving the Churchill to back off table after several hits which didn’t even scratch it.

The rules make a fun game with an easily learnt system.

So get out either 15mm or 20mm tanks, or just build one as you only need one and let all the budding what a tankers join in another time.

Nige

Last edited by Magwr (22/4/2018 10:52 PM)

"We consider this our duty - to defend humanity against the scourge of intolerance, violence and fanaticism." (Massoud)

23/4/2018 11:07 AM  #9

There is a campaign system within the rules where, providing your crew survive, you can progress, gain experience and drive a better tank. Is this something that appeals?

Alan 

23/4/2018 1:58 PM  #10

hi Alan,
Campaign is definitley a must.
Richard at BIG on the WaT day is running a campaign so it will be interesting to see this.
Nige

23/4/2018 2:15 PM  #11

Hi lads,
I’d be interested in giving this a go sometime especially in 15mm,I have quite a few early War British painted up for the desert conflict which have never seen the table so it would be nice to roll them out.

23/4/2018 3:21 PM  #12

Got you hooked now Steve
I'll send you the dash board you need to use for the game..
nige

23/4/2018 5:22 PM  #13

I would fancy a go as well at some point 

quite a few people talking about it

Kind regards
Rob
www.scarabminiatures.com
www.warandconquest.co.uk

23/4/2018 5:51 PM  #14

Rob,

All you need is a late war British or German 20mm tank & download the dashboard off the too fat lardies website & print it out. Plus a handful of D6, at least 6 of one colour. Then you are ready to go.

Nige

23/4/2018 6:08 PM  #15

Hi Nige,
Not free for a game until June now and as I said 15mm,early War & desert please mate ;0).
Cheers,Steve.

23/4/2018 9:14 PM  #16

@Rob  - I guess you can get the rules from North Star at the usuaĺ discount? Shame that they don't seem to have the bundle with the tokens included

24/4/2018 10:36 AM  #17

Steve,

We can do a ‘special’ 15mm day for you. Either scale works. Desert probably better in 15mm due to lack of terrain and the britishers only hope to to stay out of range, then charge like at balaclava.

Nige

24/4/2018 1:08 PM  #18

Sounds good to me :0).

25/4/2018 3:21 PM  #19

Its next stop the desert circa 1941 for me. Got 15mm and a few 20mm. Terrain - plenty of folds in the ground to hide in.

Alan

Board footera