Bristol Big'Uns
Welcome to our forums. The Bristol Big'Uns are a group of people who enjoy fantasy, science fiction and historical wargames. We tend to play mostly table-top wargames but you will sometimes see CCGs, CMGs, RPGs or board games. If this sounds like a hobby you currently enjoy then why not come along. The club is based at Iron Acton, between Bristol and Yate, in the recently refurbished Parish Hall and is held Sunday evenings from 6 pm until 10 pm. There are tables and chairs available plus various sized scenic mats and terrain for table-top wargames. Please bring with you any drinks or snacks that you require.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

14/3/2020 10:01 PM  #1

Social distancing

As we are all aware normal life is becoming rather challenging and gatherings are becoming less acceptable. I wonder what other members feel about our gaming evenings in a location which is used by a variety of people and whether we need to agree any measures to minimise risk for all concerned?

Whilst individuals playing across the table allows for the recommended distancing a multi player game does not.

Speaking as someone in the more vulnerable age bracket I am increasingly conscious of taking steps to reduce risk of infection.

Any thoughts?

Mike

14/3/2020 10:55 PM  #2

Re: Social distancing

Mike

its certainly worth bringing to everyones attention - there are various guidelines from the health people so everybody following those should be a good enough start - worth possibly bringing own terrain and avoiding the communal kitchen area plus applying any other common sense approaches

Kind regards
Rob
www.scarabminiatures.com
www.warandconquest.co.uk

14/3/2020 11:06 PM  #3

Get yourself a box of surgical gloves. make sure you use your own dice and tape measures. If you display any of the symptoms (headaches, fever, coughing, muscle pain that is not accounted for) then keep yourself isolated. The media is blowing this out of proportion it is impossible to go a day without touching something that someone else has. The virus can only survive out of a host for a short period of time and as we only meet once a week anything on the tables or terrain would be long dead. I'm speaking as a trained army medic here who is trained in infection control. I agree we need to be aware and careful of this but not bringing our lives to a halt over it.

Tim

Last edited by Tim (14/3/2020 11:06 PM)

15/3/2020 9:57 PM  #4

Mike has raised a very valid concern and needs to be considered very carefully.

I watched an excellent live interview {45minutes] of a lady scientist who was the chief deputy head of health and viral… [Can’t recall all her titles] but she is linked to the NHS and viral/infectious bodies that study these things. It was the most informative and reassuring programme I have watched. The information not only debunked myths but gave very sound advice and explained how the viruses work and many other facets like how it attacks the body and what causes the symptoms you will feel and the killer aspect of it.

Most relevant to using a public meeting place will be the fact that on soft surfaces the virus will survive for 24 hours, on hard surfaces 48hrs. BUT to be safe a surface after being touched by the virus will only be safe after at least 72hrs. This means that a table used on Saturday by someone who may have the virus will NOT be safe to use on Sunday unless you clean it. The virus is weak outside of the human body and your normal kitchen cleaners, like bleach, sprays will kill it [the tissue used to clean must be disposed of safely].

So best practice would be to clean the tables you intend to use properly all over and the chair as well.

Personally, I shall not be coming to club until this situation is on the way out. There is a very good computer system that allows you to play any board game via the internet with your pals. I have used this, VASSAL, for many years to play people from all over the world. Also I have such a mound of figures to paint this is an ideal time for me to paint figures ready for the reboot of playing at a public club.

I’m in the 4.8% death rate age bracket and I intend to be playing wargames for many more years so a few months in a more less physical contact situation isn’t going to be a hardship. Plus, the lack of loo paper doesn’t bother me as I have woods on my doorstep and my old entrenching tool and there are loads of dock leaves in these woods. LoL..

Nige

"We consider this our duty - to defend humanity against the scourge of intolerance, violence and fanaticism." (Massoud)

16/3/2020 8:18 PM  #5

As a heads up to everyone, the Broom family are now in self isolation for the next 14 days as Megan has a temperature/fever.. 
This is due to the new government guidelines from this evening which weren't active yesterday (So I was at work today) 

I know I was at club briefly last night, so thought it best to just make folks aware to the change of circumstances. 

See you at some point in the future and who knows I might get some painting done as well!!

Kind regards
Rob
www.scarabminiatures.com
www.warandconquest.co.uk

17/3/2020 9:48 AM  #6

There’s no doubt that normal life is going to be different for a goodly while, so I wish you and yours all the very best and hope to catch up with you all at the right time in the future.

One of the challenges for me, is I’ve run out of hiding places from the long list of decorating Sally has for me.

Cheers

If you want to get ahead in life - get an axe.

John.

17/3/2020 12:34 PM  #7

Yes - understood - Barbara is currently generating a list for me as well and there seems to be a distinct lack 'Rob to paint toy soldiers' on it

Kind regards
Rob
www.scarabminiatures.com
www.warandconquest.co.uk

17/3/2020 8:40 PM  #8

Lincombe Barn is closing for an indefinite period of time

18/3/2020 7:13 AM  #9

... and the Tabletop sale has been canned.

Cheers

John.

18/3/2020 10:48 AM  #10

It looks like BIG is remaing open for the present https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1609838429194980&id=341015552743947&ref=page_internal

Note the sting in the tail at the end...

Cheers

John.

18/3/2020 3:21 PM  #11

yep that's a sting, hopefully some of the government measures might help ease them through

Kind regards
Rob
www.scarabminiatures.com
www.warandconquest.co.uk

21/3/2020 1:43 PM  #12

21/3/2020 1:43 PM  #13

sorry that was bigger than I thought 

22/3/2020 2:50 PM  #14

Club is now closed for gaming until further notice