Bristol Big'Uns
Welcome to our forums. The Bristol Big'Uns are a group of people who enjoy fantasy, science fiction and historical wargames. We tend to play mostly table-top wargames but you will sometimes see CCGs, CMGs, RPGs or board games. If this sounds like a hobby you currently enjoy then why not come along. The club is based at Iron Acton, between Bristol and Yate, in the recently refurbished Parish Hall and is held Sunday evenings from 6 pm until 10 pm. There are tables and chairs available plus various sized scenic mats and terrain for table-top wargames. Please bring with you any drinks or snacks that you require.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

07/4/2019 9:12 PM  #1

Romans Vs Ratkins ed

Hi Ed,
Our Game was over too quickly. The side without cavalry is a bit stymied. I would have liked a more of a slugfess to keep the tokens. The Loot scenario definitley has to be changed to The unit has to have the token at the end of the game & not be able to exit the table with it.The scenario was too easy as it stood for the side with the faster units.

I would like another crack against your Ratkins to see if i can defeat them in a more prolonged game.

Once we know the next D&D date could we sort out another Romans Vs Ratkins encounter.

Nige

"We consider this our duty - to defend humanity against the scourge of intolerance, violence and fanaticism." (Massoud)

08/4/2019 6:06 PM  #2

Re: Romans Vs Ratkins ed

Sounds like a plan. Look forward to it.

Also, I was looking at some ancient minis last night, how different are Celts and Gauls?

08/4/2019 6:11 PM  #3

Sounds like a plan. Look forward to it.

Also, I was looking at some ancient minis last night, how different are Celts and Gauls?

08/4/2019 7:20 PM  #4

Well..... celts don’t really exist, it’s a modern myth. There was no Celtic nation or identity, it was a handy term created to lump the various tribes that developed LeTenu style. It’s like the generic term applied to the First Nations...native Americans. They aren’t Americans as the Americans are the incomers. The various tribes aren’t one nation and they all refer to each other by their tribe so a Dakota Sioux will refer to a Cree as a Cree not a Native American.

But, in wargame terms, a Celtic army would cover Gaul, Britain, Teutonic tribes, and Hibernians. As they are all Celtic tribes, and pretty much fought the same. Gallic forces would be good as they can double up as any of the others to fight the Romans or each other, which they did a lot.

Gauls will be good as you can have asterix et al leading them in a fantasy version.

Nige

"We consider this our duty - to defend humanity against the scourge of intolerance, violence and fanaticism." (Massoud)

09/4/2019 11:39 AM  #5

There was a company that made official Asterix miniatures back in the 90’s. I’ve tried to track them down but they are as rare as rocking horse excrement and therefore priced accordingly on eBay.

Jordan

09/4/2019 12:06 PM  #6

Thank you! I’ve found some nice looking Gauls, but the thought of Asterix leading the way is way too tempting to not give serious consideration too.

Board footera