Bristol Big'Uns
Welcome to our forums. The Bristol Big'Uns are a group of people who enjoy fantasy, science fiction and historical wargames. We tend to play mostly table-top wargames but you will sometimes see CCGs, CMGs, RPGs or board games. If this sounds like a hobby you currently enjoy then why not come along. The club is based at Iron Acton, between Bristol and Yate, in the recently refurbished Parish Hall and is held Sunday evenings from 6 pm until 10 pm. There are tables and chairs available plus various sized scenic mats and terrain for table-top wargames. Please bring with you any drinks or snacks that you require.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

18/9/2019 7:16 PM  #1

Black Sails

Warlord Games latest offering looks interesting until you realise that the ships are in a scale not used by any other manufacturer and a single 1st rate ship, like HMS Victory, will cost £24 for a resin hull kit which has to be assembled. Given that this is about twice the price of Langton ships I struggle to see how this will be popular.

Also given Warlord Games recent track record for releasing rules that have not been properly tested or proof read I for one will be sticking with Warhammer Historical Trafalgar rules and many others will no doubt stick with Sails of Glory where the ships are cheaper and come ready painted and assembled. Or - speaking as a fan of Peter Dennis’ paper soldiers - I might suggest the Battle of Trafalgar book which has every ship of both fleets in profile.

Mike

19/9/2019 11:13 AM  #2

Re: Black Sails

I'm ahead of you with this one, Mike.
I'm convinced it's another poor money making Warlord offering.

Cheers

If you want to get ahead in life - get an axe.

John.

22/9/2019 9:31 AM  #3

Ouch!!

Agree with both of you

I have a load of tiremes from Langton somewhere - was going to write some rules but are there any decent ones out there?

Kind regards
Rob
www.scarabminiatures.com
www.warandconquest.co.uk

22/9/2019 9:37 AM  #4

Found Poseidon’s Warriors from Osprey
but rules reviews are very mixed. I recall the author proposed this to me when I was at Games Workshop!

Perhaps I should write my own!

Last edited by robb (22/9/2019 9:38 AM)

Kind regards
Rob
www.scarabminiatures.com
www.warandconquest.co.uk

22/9/2019 9:42 AM  #5

Also agree chaps, seems Warlord are going down the same root as GW, bang ok boxed games after box game, make as much money as possible then move on to the next. The problem with Warlord is GW’s Quality is so much better.

22/9/2019 3:05 PM  #6

Rob

I have Poseidon’s Warriors but haven’t yet played it and like you read varying reports. I previously used Naumachiae which gave a decent game but could be a bit slow.

Mike

24/9/2019 8:17 PM  #7

Mike

as arranged look forward to Sundays battle - ships ahoy !!

Kind regards
Rob
www.scarabminiatures.com
www.warandconquest.co.uk

25/9/2019 10:01 AM  #8

robb wrote:

Ouch!!

Agree with both of you

I have a load of tiremes from Langton somewhere - was going to write some rules but are there any decent ones out there?

Rob,

Don’t know how good the rules are but Firelock Games have a 1/600th game called Oak and Thunder due out soon (I became aware of it on Kickstarter).  Have heard good things about their 28mm Blood and Plunder rules so might be worth a look if/when they come out.

Kevin

25/9/2019 1:08 PM  #9

I think it's now called oak & iron.

Marketing vids - https://www.firelockgames.com/oak-iron/

Enjoy

If you want to get ahead in life - get an axe.

John.

26/9/2019 8:08 PM  #10

Thanks..

the ships look interesting but I must avoid any more new stuff, I have existing new stuff to paint and game with!

Kind regards
Rob
www.scarabminiatures.com
www.warandconquest.co.uk

01/10/2019 2:32 AM  #11

A pdf of the Oak and Iron rules has just been made available at https://www.firelockgames.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/Oak-Iron-Rulebook-full.pdf - unfortunately the cards for ships etc aren’t available so hard to play test

Board footera