Bristol Big'Uns
Welcome to our forums. The Bristol Big'Uns are a group of people who enjoy fantasy, science fiction and historical wargames. We tend to play mostly table-top wargames but you will sometimes see CCGs, CMGs, RPGs or board games. If this sounds like a hobby you currently enjoy then why not come along. The club is based at Iron Acton, between Bristol and Yate, in the recently refurbished Parish Hall and is held Sunday evenings from 6 pm until 10 pm. There are tables and chairs available plus various sized scenic mats and terrain for table-top wargames. Please bring with you any drinks or snacks that you require.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

03/3/2019 10:11 PM  #1

Dungeons & Dragons

There are a few of us that are keen on playing D&D at the club and I am looking to Dungeon Mastering using the old 1st Edition Advanced D&D Rules.

We are thinking of playing it once a month so as not to interfere with the other games we like to play regularly and to allow for the amount of preparation that needs to happen between games.

If you would like to participate then please comment on this thread so that we can gauge the level of interest and further plan to start it up.

Jordan

03/3/2019 11:50 PM  #2

Re: Dungeons & Dragons

Jordan,

I’m in, as you know, my half elf ranger is keen to slay some orcs.

Nige

"We consider this our duty - to defend humanity against the scourge of intolerance, violence and fanaticism." (Massoud)

04/3/2019 8:37 AM  #3

Definitely tempted, it’s been years since I last did a role play.

04/3/2019 10:38 AM  #4

Yeah same here,it’s all about the timing though as i’m pretty well booked up now until the end of May ;0).

04/3/2019 5:47 PM  #5

I'd be up for this too. 

05/3/2019 8:25 AM  #6

My half Gnome monk/ninja/illusionist thirsts for slaughter! Open the NetherGate and unleash hell!

By the power of Greyskull!

06/3/2019 4:10 PM  #7

So we have quite a bit of interest. I’m looking to make a start on 24th March. Nigel has started a thread in the arranging games section so we can discuss further dates in there.
With the amount of people playing and other games running, I’m not expecting everybody to make it to every single game that we do, likewise we can’t possibly maintain frequent sessions if we only go ahead with the full group present. To get around this problem, anyone absent can opt to have their character played by either the Dungeon Master or another player. Of course, anyone not able to participate on the start date of March 24th can join the party as and when they become available.

I’ll be playing Bolt Action on the 17th but I’ll bring my D&D books and supplements and after my game I can sit with anyone who’s present and wants to start playing on the 24th. This way we can begin play as soon as possible on the 24th.

If anyone has any questions then feel free to ask.

Jordan

06/3/2019 7:14 PM  #8

Sounds good to me mate.
I’m playing Deadzone with Simon on the 17th so happy to stay after and sort out a character :0).

07/3/2019 1:41 PM  #9

Hi Jordan - It has been a long since I last played D&D (about 40 years!) and I sold all my vintage books etc on ebay a couple of years ago. It would be good to try again so count me in although I can't promise to make every date.

Thanks

Alan

07/3/2019 7:30 PM  #10

Hi Jordan, definitely up for this. As we were all having a conversation about it a couple of months back. Good that quite a lot of people showing interest because I believe in this version of D&D we will get murdered. So a big group would be good. I do have D&D rules cyclopedia which should work with what you've got. I'll also let mate Ian know about. Cheers Dave

08/3/2019 2:51 PM  #11

So what characters do people want to play?
I’m looking at going right back to the beginning and playing the same character I played in my first ever game a Dwarf Fighter :0).
How about the rest of you?

08/3/2019 3:11 PM  #12

I’ve got a level 1 half elf ranger that I’ll be using, she’s all ready to go as Jordan & I rolled her up ages ago. Jordan is planning to roll up level 1 characters for anyone who hasn’t got one.

"We consider this our duty - to defend humanity against the scourge of intolerance, violence and fanaticism." (Massoud)

08/3/2019 9:49 PM  #13

So the date that was put up is that intended to actually start the game or make characters? I might make a paladin.

09/3/2019 5:16 AM  #14

Start game on 24th

Jordan will be at club on 17th & will make up characters then, that’s the plan. If you can’t make that date, we can roll up the stats & if you state what race, class, & weapons, armour you might like (will depend on how much money you will start with) we can fill most of the character sheet in & then on 24th any tweaks other choices like alignment, etc can be added quickly. Jordan will have the blank character sheets.

So as you are interested in being a paladin, then if you state what the order of stats highest to lowest that will help filling in the sheet, like for a fighter you might choose st, con, dex, wis, cha, int for highest to lowest stats rolled.

Hope that helps dave.

Nige

09/3/2019 8:21 AM  #15

Also, if everyone could post on here (if they already know) what class they intend to play as so that we can gauge the balance of the party then that would be helpful.

If anyone is unsure of what they’d like to play then they can peruse the rulebooks and supplements that I’ll bring with me on the 17th or the 24th.

It’s not vital that we have characters rolled up before the 24th, i’d just like as many done as possible before we start playing. With so many interested it would take a while if we were to do them all at the same time.

Jordan

09/3/2019 11:34 AM  #16

I usually play a lawful warrior priest (Cleric) or an evil wizard (M/U). Happy to play a thick Fighter or incautious Thief if the stats dictate. But Cleric in the first instance ;-)

This is a useful resource:
https://thetrove.net/Books/Dungeons%20&%20Dragons/

Dreads

Last edited by Dread Lord (09/3/2019 11:36 AM)

By the power of Greyskull!

09/3/2019 2:41 PM  #17

thanks dreads thats an epic source. Priest/cleric/wizard, explains your picking mushrooms then and the trip into nympho kidnapping land.

Nige

15/3/2019 7:12 PM  #18

Hi peeps, what character sheet are you using?

16/3/2019 5:43 PM  #19

Jordan’s got some I sent him, they are revamped first edition with a more readable format. He will bring the sheets on both days when he does the character rolling. I got them off a website I found that had shed loads of all versions of the D&D game.

Nige

16/3/2019 5:53 PM  #20

I’ve printed 20 out (that should do for now) I’ll bring them along tomorrow. It would make sense for everyone to use the same format of sheet throughout the game so that it’s easier for all of us to be able to find the information easily. If people want to use their own style (there are plenty of variations out there) then that is also fine.

Jordan

18/3/2019 10:43 AM  #21

That was fun sorting out characters last night looks like we could have a very interesting :0o party.
Jordan it might be worth putting up a list of who’s playing what.
I searched e-bay last night and found the prefect model for my character,now just have to paint him once he arrives :0).

Last edited by Lurkus Spleen (18/3/2019 10:45 AM)

19/3/2019 6:55 AM  #22

Once everybody’s emailed me a photo of their character sheet, I’ll put a post up on here showing who’s playing what. I can’t remember of the top of my head what class everyone went for.

Jordan

19/3/2019 10:25 PM  #23

Details sent mate.

Last edited by Lurkus Spleen (20/3/2019 12:52 PM)

20/3/2019 11:52 AM  #24

Hi Jordon
Good to see you have got plenty of folk involved. I have decided not to join for various reasons.
Good luck
Alan

24/3/2019 10:57 PM  #25

That’s not a problem Alan.
You’re always welcome to join in should you change your mind.

Jordan

Board footera