Bristol Big'Uns
Welcome to our forums. The Bristol Big'Uns are a group of people who enjoy fantasy, science fiction and historical wargames. We tend to play mostly table-top wargames but you will sometimes see CCGs, CMGs, RPGs or board games. If this sounds like a hobby you currently enjoy then why not come along. The club is based at Iron Acton, between Bristol and Yate, in the recently refurbished Parish Hall and is held Sunday evenings from 6 pm until 10 pm. There are tables and chairs available plus various sized scenic mats and terrain for table-top wargames. Please bring with you any drinks or snacks that you require.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/1/2019 4:02 PM  #1

suggestion for club to buy

One thing we are missing in the club terrain is a 6' x 4' sea mat.

As cruel seas is out and Mike and I have discussed playing WW1 naval, plus we have been using green mats for sails of glory games, i thought it was time we got a proper mat.

Would we be able to get one for the club from the funds?

Nige

"We consider this our duty - to defend humanity against the scourge of intolerance, violence and fanaticism." (Massoud)

11/1/2019 10:57 PM  #2

Re: suggestion for club to buy

It could also be used for Trafalgar napoleonic naval and Victory at Sea WW2 rules.

Wayland Games are currently showing a 6 x 4 Deep Cut Studio Waterworld mat in stock at 5% off - £58.37.

It would be good to have one!

Mike

12/1/2019 10:26 AM  #3

Well spotted mike, I’m sure the club would go for that.

The usage the mat would get would be endless possibilities.

Could use it for seaborne landings in bolt action, ideal for US marines Vs Japs dug in like ticks on a dog. 15mm/20mm Normandy campaign games. The ancient gamers could use it for splendid roman Galleys against Greeks, Battle of Britain over the channel, cruel seas, ACW ironclads, Viking raids in saga etc etc.

A sea mat increases our appeal to new gamers as it’s something unusual to play.

At £58 that’s a snip.

Nige

"We consider this our duty - to defend humanity against the scourge of intolerance, violence and fanaticism." (Massoud)

12/1/2019 1:56 PM  #4

I have a load of tiny greek and roman ships somewhere, plus a number of larger vessels 

I would have thought the mat would have some use

Kind regards
Rob
www.scarabminiatures.com
www.warandconquest.co.uk

12/1/2019 7:43 PM  #5

Hi all,
I can’t see a problem with picking a sea mat up if it’s what the member want.
The deep cut one on Wayland games looks fine but do remember that there will be a postage charge of over £6 for this item.
Cheers,Steve.

13/1/2019 11:23 AM  #6

Perhaps it can be added to a shopping list for a show if it is required?

On that subject, Penarth show is in a couple of weeks!

Kind regards
Rob
www.scarabminiatures.com
www.warandconquest.co.uk

06/3/2019 7:09 PM  #7

The new sea mat has arrived,will bring along on Sunday.
Cheers,Steve.

06/3/2019 9:20 PM  #8

Ta Steve,

Alan & I are playing cruel seas so will give the sea mat it’s first go.

Nige

Board footera