Bristol Big'Uns
Welcome to our forums. The Bristol Big'Uns are a group of people who enjoy fantasy, science fiction and historical wargames. We tend to play mostly table-top wargames but you will sometimes see CCGs, CMGs, RPGs or board games. If this sounds like a hobby you currently enjoy then why not come along. The club is based at Iron Acton, between Bristol and Yate, in the recently refurbished Parish Hall and is held Sunday evenings from 6 pm until 10 pm. There are tables and chairs available plus various sized scenic mats and terrain for table-top wargames. There is a 'tuck shop' happily providing crisps, chocolate and fizzy drinks plus tea and coffee at a reasonable price.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

Arranging Games » NO Club until further notice. » 03/12/2020 3:05 PM

Dread Lord
Replies: 4

Go to post

The Parish Hall Committee have decided to close the hall until 2021. More info when we get it.

Dreads

Arranging Games » NO Club meetings during November. » 02/11/2020 10:40 AM

Dread Lord
Replies: 1

Go to post

Due to the national lockdown situation club meetings are suspended until December.

With any luck we can meet on 6th December but this has yet to be confirmed.

Club Discussion » Spam » 16/10/2020 12:33 PM

Dread Lord
Replies: 7

Go to post

They had over 200 posts by the time I deleted them - a workmanlike approach to spam!!

Arranging Games » NO CLUB on these dates. » 16/10/2020 12:24 PM

Dread Lord
Replies: 4

Go to post

Old g*t wrote:

Given the current situation will the Iron Acton Players still be requiring the hall, and hence can the club meet on November 22nd?

Cheers

Steve has asked and the hall IS available to us on the 22nd November. Thanks for querying this John.

Dreads

Arranging Games » NO CLUB THIS SUNDAY 13th September 2020 » 11/9/2020 7:07 AM

Dread Lord
Replies: 6

Go to post

Due to circumstances beyond our control there will be no club this Sunday.

Dreads

Arranging Games » Paying Subs » 09/9/2020 9:11 AM

Dread Lord
Replies: 0

Go to post

Please pay via www.PayPal.com
Pay davegee.gee@gmail.com and mark it for friends and family to avoid paying fees.
Send a few weeks subs at a time to avoid excess admin and errors. I recommend 4 or 5 weeks, so £12 or £15.
Steve will keep a record and remind you when you need to pay subs again.

Dreads

Club Discussion » MASSIVE COCKUP! » 07/9/2020 6:55 PM

Dread Lord
Replies: 1

Go to post

We managed to not lock up our scenery cupboard, leave fire doors propped open and lights on at the hall last night. The Parish Hall Committee has threatened to revoke our hiring privileges as this voids their insurance and breaches the Covid 19 rules.

It is vital that we come together as a club for the clean down and lock up. It can't be left to the same 1 or 2 people each time.

Dreads

Arranging Games » RE-OPENING Report » 20/7/2020 7:22 AM

Dread Lord
Replies: 3

Go to post

I thought last night went well. It was good to see and talk to people. Everyone had a mask and the few things to remember are straight forward - sanitise hands on entry, someone sign in the log book, open the windows and fire exit for air flow, take a list of names and phone numbers of who attended and don't touch nothing you don't have to! ;-)

As I didn't stay to the end how was final clean down? Any issues for the PH committee?

Dreads 

p.s. we are the only group using the hall at the moment.

Arranging Games » DRAFT RE-OPENING PLAN - Opinions? » 13/7/2020 1:56 PM

Dread Lord
Replies: 10

Go to post

Update from the Parish Hall Committee:

Iron Acton Parish Hall – Re-opening from Sunday 19th July 2020
 
We are pleased to let you know that the Hall will re-open on 19th July 2020.
 
To comply with Government advice, the Parish Hall Trustees wish to ensure all users can be guaranteed a safe and sanitised environment in which to return and access our facilities.
A copy of our risk assessment is attached but may be subject to change at any time in line with Government and Village Hall Guidelines. The Hall Management Committee have made every effort to ensure the hall is safe to use and that hirers know how to use it safely but hirers remain responsible for ensuring the safety of their users and ensuring that all guidance is followed. All other guests, visitors and contractors are requested to follow all normal precautions as advised by Government from time to time, our posters and hirers instructions.
 
If you have any concerns please advise the Hall Booking Secretary (Meryl Cook) on 01454 228405  or email them to ironactonparishhall@gmail.com.
 
Please let me know when you are ready to re-commence your activities.
 
We have had to make some amendments to our conditions of hiring. An appendix to your hire agreement is attached for your information. Please read these conditions thoroughly to ensure you are aware of what is necessary to keep the Hall free of the Covid 19 virus and therefore open.
 
In addition, please note:
[list=a]
[*]The hirer must sign a record of usage each time the group uses the Hall. This will be kept in the lobby area. This is to confirm the name & number of the responsible person present at that session for ensuring the guidelines are followed.
[*]The hirer must keep a record of the name and telephone number of every person attending the session for Track and Trace purposes.
[*]The hiring group will be responsible for cleaning surfaces used regularly, during and at the end of hi

Arranging Games » DRAFT RE-OPENING PLAN - Opinions? » 13/7/2020 1:53 PM

Dread Lord
Replies: 10

Go to post

Old g*t wrote:

Great job Dave.

1.Are there any special requirements regarding use of toilets?
2. Is there need to mention don't go into other rooms, or use the phone (or touch anything you shouldn't).
3. Will the proposed advance payment approach work for occasional attendees?

1. Not that I'm aware of. With everyone washing their hands and the amount of cleaning done in toilets they are probably pretty safe.
2. I don't want to over egg the pudding. I think people appreciate the situation we're in.
3. It should do. We are required to record names and phone numbers of all attendees every week.

Dreads

Arranging Games » DRAFT RE-OPENING PLAN - Opinions? » 10/7/2020 12:41 PM

Dread Lord
Replies: 10

Go to post

Have I missed anything?

Dreads

Arranging Games » DRAFT RE-OPENING PLAN - Opinions? » 10/7/2020 12:40 PM

Dread Lord
Replies: 10

Go to post

Big ‘Uns Re-Opening Plan
 
We are waiting to hear exactly when we can re-open but 19th July looks likely. The first 3 meetings will be free whilst we adjust to the new normal.
The Parish Hall Committee are providing sanitiser at the entrance. Please use it upon entry to the premises every time. So, if you must make 3 trips to the car you will need to sanitise 3 times.
Big ‘Uns are providing cleaning materials. You are expected to wipe down tables and chairs at the start and end of the meeting.
MANDITORY. A record of who has attended a meeting must be kept for track and trace purposes. Also, the Parish Hall register must be signed by a responsible person (I believe it’s by the front door).
MANDITORY. All attendees are expected to have read the 2 risk assessments and signed off that they have done so. They are available at the link below and copies will be available on club nights.
https://bristolbiguns.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=440
MANDITORY. You must supply a face covering of some sort in case it is not possible to maintain 2m social distancing. Anyone without a face covering may be asked to leave.
MANDITORY. All games must be finished by 10pm on the night. By finished this means miniatures and dice packed away and just tables/chairs and terrain remaining out. We then must clean down.
Cleaning: All members will be responsible for wiping down the tables and chairs they use both before and after their games. Members will be responsible for wiping down any boxes that are not stored in the terrain cupboard before and after their games. This is because other hall users may touch these items.

Items stored in the terrain cupboard and within terrain boxes on the shelving rack are considered safe as Covid19 has a life span of 3 days on hard surfaces, so will be dead when we next use the items.

The battle mats do not need to be wiped over.
The Parish Hall Committee have decided to close the bar and kitchen areas. This means you can mo

Arranging Games » UPDATE: Hall reopening » 09/7/2020 8:10 AM

Dread Lord
Replies: 11

Go to post

From the Parish Hall Committee:

"Dear War gamers
We will be opening the Hall from the end of next week so you may hold your first meeting on Sunday 19th July.  We will be sending out an appendix of additional regulations on top of our regular Hiring Agreement.  We will not be allowing the use of either the bar area or the kitchen due to the amount of deep sanitising that would be required after each session.  You will be able to bring in your own food and drink as long as any waste is disposed of appropriately or taken away from the premises.
The details will follow at the beginning of next week.  You will need to keep your track and trace register of all those attending your meetings. A responsible person will have to sign the Parish Hall register for each meeting.
The details to follow.
Regards
Meryl "

I will keep you posted when more details arrive.
Dreads

 

Arranging Games » COVID19 Discussions » 02/7/2020 2:58 PM

Dread Lord
Replies: 21

Go to post

davec1980 wrote:

Hi peeps, just an idea if you put all this information up on the Facebook group as some people don't use the forum it would be handy. On both of the group pages. 😁

I prefer to keep everything in one place otherwise it becomes an administrative nightmare. Please direct anyone that you know doesn't come here to sign up.

Dreads

Arranging Games » POLL - When will you be coming back to the club? » 02/7/2020 10:03 AM

Dread Lord
Replies: 0

Go to post

Just a quick poll - I don't want your life story https://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/devious.png


Dreads

Arranging Games » COVID19 Discussions » 02/7/2020 9:57 AM

Dread Lord
Replies: 21

Go to post

The hall is due to reopen on Monday 6th July. As yet I have not heard from Meryl. I will contact her on Tuesday 7th July to find out if it is okay for us to use the hall on 12th July.

Dreads

Arranging Games » COVID19 Discussions » 26/6/2020 6:59 AM

Dread Lord
Replies: 21

Go to post

Steve and I had a chat about payment of subs and we have decided the follow method will be used:

Payment in advance using Paypal. We will use my Paypal account and we ask that members buy 5 sessions at a time (£15). Steve will check off who attends each week. When you attend for your last paid for session you will be asked to buy 5 more. 

Please send subs as a gift to davegee.gee@gmail.com via Paypal.

Dreads

Arranging Games » COVID19 Discussions » 24/6/2020 8:51 AM

Dread Lord
Replies: 21

Go to post

Ogrekan wrote:

Maybe dont touch other peoples figures, dont share dice/templates/tape measure etc?

That's covered in the RA.

Dreads
 

Arranging Games » COVID19 Discussions » 23/6/2020 12:12 PM

Dread Lord
Replies: 21

Go to post

Ujkakevin wrote:

No additions to Dreads initial thoughts but one that probably needs to be brought to the hall committee - how long has the water been standing as it may require a good flush through before use.

No problems with face coverings - they are annoying but becoming the norm when interacting with people.

For payments, is it worth setting up a PayPal money pool and pay subs in that way?

From Meryl:
"Hi Dave
We having been changing and flushing the water weekly during lockdown. We don’t have any showers so the risk is much less anyway.
Regards
Meryl"

Dreads

 

Arranging Games » IMPORTANT INFORMATION Covid 19 » 22/6/2020 9:05 AM

Dread Lord
Replies: 17

Go to post

Can we keep this thread just as a record of who has read the risk assessments please. I've started a separate thread for discussions.

Dreads

Arranging Games » COVID19 Discussions » 22/6/2020 9:03 AM

Dread Lord
Replies: 21

Go to post

https://bristolbiguns.boardhost.com/images/quote.png
 robb wrote:Read

1. With the likely change to 1m social distancing - we should be good to go once a majority of the membership feel ready to return.
It would be worth adding to our risk assessment if you feel ill - don't come to club and let members know you are feeling ill in case contact was made previous week - this will help 'track and trace' - and also if its not covid - then also follow up and let us know as well http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/happy.gif


2. We should have a discussion about wearing face masks while at club and adding that to our risk assessment as compulsary. While I have not worn one as part of my job (and I am still out there working every day - I do have a mask in case I need it), the fact we are inside for several hours and close to one another makes it essential - we should remember we are not just protecting ourselves, its about protecting our families and the wider social group and slowing down and spread of the infection.

3. As a club we will need to work together regarding cleaning at the end of the session rather than just leaving it to one or two as I suspect the cleaning will need to be done with surgical precision.
I would suggest an earlier finish time to accommodate this and ensure we can have a team effort to get the job done.
4. As we need to provide cleaning materials we best agree with IAPHC what we are providing in case theres some preference or rules regarding brands used

5. Once there's some more guidance we can start a conversation about when we return but I don't think we should jump straight back in. With all thats going on currently the chance of a second wave is about 50 50 in my opinion possibly higher.
 
Thanks for your input. I feel points 1, 2 and 3 are already covered in the 2 RA's. 4. Dettol is a good one as it is proven against coronavirus, but realistically any bleach based product would do.5.  I personally think that we won'

Arranging Games » COVID19 Discussions » 22/6/2020 8:57 AM

Dread Lord
Replies: 21

Go to post

Cleaning: All members will be responsible for wiping down the tables and chairs they use both before and after their games. Members will be responsible for wiping down any boxes that are not stored in the terrain cupboard before and after their games. This is because other hall users may touch these items.

Items stored in the terrain cupboard and within terrain boxes on the shelving rack are considered safe as Covid19 has a life span of 3 days on hard surfaces, so will be dead when we next use the items.

The battle mats do not need to be wiped over.

At the end of the evening the kitchen area will need to be wiped down. Kettle, fridge door hand, taps and surfaces. As things are cleared up the last person out must wipe the door handles starting from the store room and working back through the bar, main hall, toilet and entrance lobby.

What have I forgotten?

Dreads

Arranging Games » IMPORTANT INFORMATION Covid 19 » 20/6/2020 3:21 PM

Dread Lord
Replies: 17

Go to post

Magwr wrote:

Read. where's attached questionaire?as see no attachments to this.
 

It was just asking if there would be any changes to our activities. I said no.

Arranging Games » IMPORTANT INFORMATION Covid 19 » 19/6/2020 1:14 PM

Dread Lord
Replies: 17

Go to post

Message from the Parish Hall Committee and a link to 2 risk assessments. Familiarise yourselves with them.

IRON ACTON PARISH HALL MANAGEMENT COMMITTEEUPDATE REGARDING RE-OPENING THE HALL FOLLOWING LOCKDOWNWe have just received the latest guidance regarding re-opening after lockdown of Village Halls and Community Centres in South Gloucestershire.  Please would you all read the guidance from the following link : -  http://www.wern.org.uk/village-halls/

The Committee have completed a risk assessment considering the importance of social distancing and heightened cleaning regimes. There are a number of things included in that assessment which we will need all hirers to agree to before groups can restart.  Please read the attached document.

The Government guidelines require each hiring group to complete a basic risk assessment prior to restarting. I would be very grateful if you could ask a member of your group to complete this as soon as possible and forward it to me.

It is expected that community buildings will be able to open from July 6th. It is likely that some of the details will change in early July from the guidance being given now. We will only open if we think it is safe to do so and that it may not be possible to restart all the activities straight away.

Please would you complete the attached questionnaire so that we may assess how many groups are wanting to return and when.  Please consider the number of people permitted in each room.  (see risk assessment).[size=125]Any electrical equipment being brought to the Hall must be tested an

Club Discussion » Spam » 16/6/2020 10:14 AM

Dread Lord
Replies: 7

Go to post

I've put in a verification requirement for new people. If the other admins can send me the user names of any offenders I'll delete the account and they'll have to sign up again. Let's see what happens.

Dreads

Club Discussion » Hot Tap Left Running in the Toilet - turn it off! » 11/2/2020 9:06 AM

Dread Lord
Replies: 2

Go to post

The cleaner found the hot tap in the gents toilet had been left on all night last night.  This is the second time it’s happened on a Sunday night in the last six weeks.  I think we will have to change the taps to ones that only stay on for a limited period.  In the meantime could you ask your members to be more careful, the boiler will have been running all night to keep the water hot. 
Actonian Dates 2020   
May 10th        November 22nd
2021    May 9th        November 14th 
Many thanks
Meryl

Club Discussion » Waste and Recycling at the Parish Hall » 27/10/2019 8:26 AM

Dread Lord
Replies: 0

Go to post

Dear All
 
We have a new contract for rubbish and recycling collections at the Parish Hall.  Please make a note of the following and tell everyone in your groups please.
 
All non-recycling rubbish must be in a black bin liner before being placed in the black wheelie bins outside.
 
Three new green recycling wheelie bins, clearly marked on their lids.
 
[list=1]
[*]Bottles and Jars
[*]Paper and cardboard
[*]Plastic and tins      
[/list]
 
These must not be confused with the two unmarked green wheelie bins which are for garden waste only.
 
Please encourage all your members to use the bins appropriately.
 
Many Thanks
 
Meryl

Club Discussion » Returning Gamer » 25/5/2019 3:44 PM

Dread Lord
Replies: 5

Go to post

Hello mate. Pop down and we can discuss mould lines and the good old days when Warhammer was king.

Dreads

Club Discussion » Blood Bowl Teams » 21/3/2019 1:27 PM

Dread Lord
Replies: 0

Go to post

I was having a look at Gridiron teams by Shadowforge Miniatures https://www.fighting15sshop.co.uk/gridiron-659-c.asp and was interested in the fact that the IGM118 Female team could be used quite easily as Humans, Amazons, Elf Nations, High Elfs and possibly some others too. You would need to buy the team deal plus an extra pack of guards but I thought this was a good deal for less than £25 plus shipping.

Dreads

Board footera

 

Powered by Boardhost. Create a Free Forum

Some questions answered:
Q: Where is the club?
A: It is at Iron Acton Parish Hall. The postcode is BS37 9UH.

Q: Is there an age limit?
A: Persons under 13 years old must be accompanied by an adult.

Q: This club sounds great, how much does it cost to join?
A: There is no membership fee. The club runs a play and pay system whereby you only pay subs if you have a game.

Q: Wow! How much are subs?
A: Subs are £3.00 per night.

Q: I'd like to play but don't have any stuff. Does the club provide this?
A: No. You must bring any models, cards, board games, books, dice etc that you need. The club provides tables, chairs, various sized scenic mats and terrain for table-top wargames plus a bunch of like-minded individuals.